Sustainability in Packaging
We recognize the responsibility to our environment. We are dedicated to transforming packaging that encourages economic prosperity and a sustainable flow of materials. We are committed to develop all aspects of our business in a economic, social and environmental manner that creates a positive benefit to our customers, our employees and our future generations.
Univenture partners with customers and environmental, academic, civic and governmental organizations, as well as landowners and harvesting professionals, to encourage responsible forest stewardship, improve health and productivity of forestlands and increase recovery of our recyclable products.
What is sustainability?
As defined by the World Commission on Environment and Development, a sustainable product “meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs”. To be considered sustainable, the materials must be same-cycled into a product of equal value, or up-cycled into a product of higher value; while the process would either have no impact on the environment or improve it.
The term sustainability is often associated with recycling or recycled materials. Traditional recycling usually results in some form of degradation to the environment of the materials being recycled. In fact, most recycling is actually down-cycling, as materials are reused in less valuable applications in each cycle.
Source: Sustainable Packaging Coalition
- Is beneficial, safe & healthy for individuals and communities throughout its life cycle
- Meets market criteria for performance and cost
- Is sourced, manufactured, transported, and recycled using renewable energy
- Maximizes the use of renewable or recycled source materials
- Is manufactured using clean production technologies and best practices
- Is made from materials healthy in all probable end of life scenarios
- Is physically designed to optimize materials and energy
- Is effectively recovered and utilized in biological and/or industrial cradle to cradle cycles
Polypropylene is an extremely strong and durable material that is very common and easy to recycle. It is so inert and protective that it is frequently used for archiving, or when product re-use is needed to decrease material consumption and save energy. The “Green” strength of our 100% polypropylene material is its capacity for re-use and the ease for which it can be recycled.
Important characteristics: very economical, 100% recyclable, archival, no harmful gasses that are created in the manufacture and disposal of PVC.
Products: clear envelopes, sleeves and pockets can be made from 100% recyclable polypropylene film
Biodegradable polypropylene maintains most of the functional characteristics of our 100% polypropylene, but has the added advantage of being biodegradable and can be made into a compost. Products made with this material can be reused, but at the end of their useful life they can breakdown to become part of the soil. Biodegradable poly will remain stable in the warehouse, store shelves, office or homes. The cost of Biodegradable Poly is about 10% more than the standard polypropylene.
Products: clear envelopes, sleeves and pockets can be made from biodegradable polypropylene film.
• The lighting in our warehouse is on a motion sensors so they are only on when someone is in the area, providing a 20% reduction in electricity usage.
• We reuse newsprint and chipboard, boxes for in-house product, and plastic bags from raw material rolls as office trash can liners.
• Skid corner board from all goods received is reused on outgoing shipments.
In an effort to put less impact on the environment, we recycled 40,000 lbs. of otherwise unusable polypropylene, vinyl, and cardboard materials in the last year.
To locate a recycling facility in your area:
please check with your city manager for your community’s recycling and controlled composting services. Since all communities may not have controlled recycling and composting facilities, we have included the following resources.
• www.naparecyling.com (by appt. only for compostable items)
Ship your used EnvyPak products back to EnvyPak for recycling
Our products are designed for long-term archival use, however, if your EnvyPak products reach their end-of-life please send them back to EnvyPak for proper recycling.
16710 Square Drive
Marysville, Ohio 43040
(Please note: Recycling shipments are for EnvyPak products only)